There’s a lot of good news for the month of September! For starters, it was yet another overall positive month for Boostability SEO performance, with 26/30 days of positive rank changes.
For this month’s update, I want to discuss our general ranking trend for most keywords and give some context and detail to what we see in them. As always, we will also cover updates to SEO and Social strategy and I’ll recommend some key articles if you have a few minutes during the day to read.
Keyword Ranking Trend
As I mentioned, September was a great month for Boostability in terms of rank improvement. We continued our usual downward (positive) trend pushing customers closer to the first page of Google.
Our data did show one major fluctuation that occurred September 25th through the 27th. When reviewing a few other industry tools they saw similar fluctuations. Google did not release any statement around this keyword movement which leaves us to speculate about the update. Considering most tools showed an impact, I assume the change was algorithmic and not targeted toward anything specific. It is possible the change was reversed since we saw an almost immediate reversal in the fluctuation.
Toward the end of the month, we saw things return to normal with generally positive ranking movement from the 28th to the 30th.
SEO Tips and Resources
During September we provided a few webinars. One, in particular, was given by the SEO team. It was called “How Does SEO Make Me Money?” and it examined how business owners can determine ROI from SEO. I would highly recommend you check out this and other fantastic webinars over on the BoostU side of our website. You’ll find great information that many of our customers can use.
SLC|SEM also had a fantastic digital marketing conference. Our very own April Nuttal helped run the event. The conference was great and provided tons of useful information.
There were a few key takeaways I had from the thought leaders and the experts who spoke:
- Digital marketing diversity (Social, SEO, PPC, Display, etc.) and digital asset diversity (Website, App, Optimized Profiles, etc.) are no longer a want but a need.
- Learning to reuse content can extend and drive further content creation.
- You must feed the top end (researching) of your customer funnel. This leads to more brand familiarity, leads, brand association, and sales.
- Figuring out what drives your customers to buy. This means learning the emotions or needs that trigger someone to take action.
- We are truly unique in the digital marketing space. This uniqueness is what makes it one-of-a-kind but it also has its own distinctive challenges.
- Being an SEO Angel Doesn’t Always Pay – A good reiteration there is an algorithm at play and you do have to optimize for it. (Source)
- Possum Update Roll-Back – Experts speculate that the possum update/filter rolled back in September. (Source)
- Speculated Algo Update – Experts speculate with webmaster and forum chatter around strange traffic and ranking movements. (Source)
- Behavioral Data not Used for Algorithms – Search engines don’t use click and behavioral data to rank a site. This is a technicality because they use this data to validate metrics and algorithms themselves. (Source)
- Optimal Content for LinkedIn – A detailed review of what content performs the best on LinkedIn. (Source)
- Facebook Ad Traffic – How Facebook is able to reach more people than there are actually people. This article covers how this is possible. (Source)
- Product Evangelism – A great post and podcast of how you can turn your customer into product advocates. (Source)
- Combating Social Media Ad Fatigue – Great info about ad fatigue and how you can prevent your ads from becoming annoying all while not killing creativity. (Source)