As a business owner or marketer, you may often wonder “what page of Google am I on?”. It’s important to understand where your website falls in the SERPs (search engine result pages). Knowing your website rankings can help you understand how well your website is doing in terms of SEO.
This process is technically referred to as “search engine position analysis”. Overall, it plays a key part in improving your online traffic and overall digital marketing strategy.
There are a few different ways to check your website’s ranking, including: manual checking, free keyword tools, and paid keyword tools. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at each of these methods and how to use them effectively.
What You Need to Know About Google Rankings
Before we go over how to check your rankings, here are a few things to understand about Google’s ranking process.
- Google wants to display the best possible results to users. To provide a quality experience, search engines look to find and display the best results to searchers. If users have a great experience and find the information needed, they will use search more often.
- Improving your rankings doesn’t happen overnight. Remember, improving your keyword rankings doesn’t happen automatically. It’s a long-term process and timing all depends on the competition of your target keyword phrase.
- Rankings fluctuate depending on location and timing. The way Google ranks websites isn’t an exact science. There are many Google algorithm factors that come into play as they crawl (search) millions of web pages. The timing and location of your search can determine your ranking position on Google.
Lastly, digital marketing and SEO trends will play a key factor in your search engine rankings. Remember to keep these ideas in mind during your search engine position analysis.
What Page of Google Am I On? How to Check Your Rankings
Turns out, the process of checking your keywords is actually quite simple! You can either manually check your rankings using Google search or check them using a keyword tool.
One way to check your website’s ranking is to do a manual search on Google. Simply enter your target keywords into the search bar and see what position your website is in. Keep in mind that this method is not always 100% accurate.
Google will often take into account your location, even if you search in an incognito window. Your website may rank differently for different keywords, and your ranking may fluctuate over time.
Pro Tip: Within the Google settings, you can change your search results to show the top 100 results on the page rather than the top 10 results. This makes it so you can find your rankings easier without having to click through each individual page on Google. From Google, go to “Settings”, “Search Settings”, then select the number of results per page.
Free Keyword Tools
Another way to check your ranking is to use free keyword tools like Google Search Console and Moz Keyword Explorer. These tools allow you to simply enter keywords or root domains and see how your website ranks for different keywords.
- Google Search Console: Once you set up your Google Search Console account, you can track rankings, impressions, website clicks, organic traffic, and more. It’s an excellent tool to monitor your SEO strategy. Keep in mind that Google Search Console requires website verification.
- Moz Keyword Explorer: After you create an account, you have 10 free searches per month to explore and find your website rankings. Remember that Moz also offers a premium account called Moz Pro. The premium version isn’t required to use their keyword position analysis tool a handful of times per month. The Keyword Explorer tool also provides other useful information, such as monthly volume and keyword difficulty.
Paid Keyword Tools
There are also paid keyword tools like SEMrush and SpyFu that offer more comprehensive data than the free tools. These tools can be helpful if you’re closely monitoring your SEO efforts and want to track your progress over time. However, they may not be necessary for everyone – especially small businesses.
How to Boost Your Keyword Rankings
As you check and monitor your keyword rankings, it’s likely that you will see areas for improvement. You may find keyword terms where your website isn’t ranking at all. Here are a few strategies to consider as you learn how to boost your rankings:
You can start improving your rankings through making optimizations to the on-page elements of your website. Start with the meta tags – include the target keyword within the Title Tag and Meta Description. Update the heading tags and copy of your website as well. The content should help readers and inform them on the subject matter.
Making your content easy to understand will help users and search engines understand what the page is all about. Using specific keywords in specific areas of your website is the best first step you can take within your SEO strategy.
Along with on-page elements, it’s important to build your website’s off-page strategy as well. One of the best ways to accomplish this is through building backlinks (link building). Link building refers to the process of getting more external links on other websites that point back to your own website. This helps build expertise, trust, and authority (E-A-T) for your website.
In recent algorithm updates, search engines have placed more emphasis on promoting a positive experience for users. Using the metrics behind Google’s core web vitals, you can improve the site speed of your website. Additionally, you can improve your site’s mobile experience by creating a mobile friendly website with optimized image and text layouts.
The combination of these strategies can help you as you work on improving your online presence. Remember, achieving higher organic rankings takes time and effort, no matter your industry.
Improve Your Keyword Rankings With Boostability
Overall, you should have a better understanding of search engine position analysis and why it’s important for your content marketing efforts. You should also know how to check your current ranking using manual searches, free keyword tools, or paid keyword tools. As you ask yourself “what page of Google am I on?”, we hope these methods help provide valuable solutions.
If you’re in a position where you need assistance with your digital marketing strategy, reach out to Boostability today. As a worldwide leader in white-label SEO services, our mission is to help small businesses succeed online! Our SEO partner program can help your company achieve its goals through boosting keyword rankings.