19 Aug 5 Search Engine Optimization Actions every Small and Local Business should do
Five Search Engine Optimization Actions every Small and Local Business should do.
Typically most small and local businesses don’t have a big budget to advertise on the Internet. So the biggest question they have is “How do I get traffic?” To start getting traffic immediately they will turn to PPC or pay-per-click. You only pay for the visitors sent to your site. This is an expensive option.
Your best ROI(return on investment) is through natural search. Here are five steps that any small and local business should do first to optimize for search engines.
1. Analytics. You need to start tracking where your customers are coming from and what search terms or sites are driving traffic to you. If you don’t know what works and what doesn’t you are throwing your money away.
2. Keyword Selection. Picking the right keywords requires a little research. You need a tool that will tell you traffic estimates and how competitive is that keyword organically. Currently Google’s tool only tells you PPC competitiveness, but does give you good traffic estimates. If you don’t choose the right keywords you may be wasting your time.
3. Meta Tags. After step 2 the easiest meta tag you can set is the keyword meta tag. Some search engines will use this data but most will not. All search engines will index it as part of your website however so it is still worth the time to put your keywords in.
4. Directory submission. There are thousands of directories, some are good and a lot are bad. You need to make sure you stay with the highest valued ones like DMOZ.org.
5. Profile submissions. Profiles are similar to directories, there are some bad ones out they you need to avoid. Start with Google local. Even if you are not a local customer it will add value.
Boostability walks businesses through these steps for free, giving them a head start to acquiring customers. Search Engine Optimization is a long term investment and just requires someone doing something. They give you the tools and easy instruction so that any business can do this.