Business websites have very similar structures. You often see product pages, CTAs, About US pages, and FAQs. These all serve their own purpose and have their own importance to a website structure but one that is often implemented poorly is the FAQ page. Here we will explore how webmasters can utilize a FAQ page to help leverage some of the most recent Google updates to help their SEO strategy.
Why Do FAQ Pages Benefit Your SEO Strategy?
Since the Google Hummingbird Update in 2013, Google has been trying to make their search engine experience more intelligent. The BERT update also had massive waves in the SEO realm as recent as Oct 2019. Semantic search and natural language processing has been implemented more widely than ever before. Search engines are trying to have ‘search with a meaning’ by providing more personalized and useful search results.
The BERT update has made search algorithms smart with natural language processing and implementing AI learning to results pages. BERT and other voice-search technology that has become more and more prevalent. The idea of question/answer queries and keywords bringing businesses online success has been expanded. This technology makes FAQ pages more rankable than ever before.
How to Get Your FAQ Page to Rank
Your FAQ page functions like any other page of content: When optimized correctly, it will not only be user-friendly but draw in organic traffic from searches.
A FAQ page should be reinforced with quality user experience. According to Google, your site will rank if you have quality user experience. Your content needs to help your users so they can continue to use your website after all, that is the point of creating a FAQ in the first place. It can also be direction for new content like a blog or social media post. Depending on your audience and the type of content you generate, it could be a great opportunity to expand upon an answer to a frequently asked question even more in-depth.
Add relevant structured data. Videos, Product and Recipe Schemas could all find their place on the FAQ page. Schema.org have also introduced microdata in the form of FAQ pages for them specifically.
How Should My Content Appear on My FAQ Page?
In preparation for this article I found a fantastic piece that illustrates how we can structure our content on FAQ page right here. Here is a little excerpt:
- Answer the question as early as possible. (Hint: In the first sentence of the first paragraph).
- Mention the question first and then answer the question so that it becomes easier for Google to tag your webpage as the best answer given.
- Do not end the answer abruptly. Instead, continue elaborating on the answer after you have given a direct answer to the question; this will provide enough weight to your answer and overall content.
- Improve the trust in your website. Offer solid information, answer questions, don’t steal content, avoid shady SEO practices.
- Go above and beyond when creating educational pieces about a topic. Let Google see that you are a trusted resource for their users.
A FAQ page is one of the most common pages that you find online but because of this it is often an afterthought in business’ minds. Consider revamping your strategy and implementing some of these tips to get your frequently asked questions page ranking. Reach out to Boostability if you have any questions or would like to get ranking now!