Google just confirmed the rollout of its latest core algorithm update, named the “October 2023 Core Update.”
Today we released the October 2023 core update. We’ll update our ranking release history page when the rollout is complete: https://t.co/pooeFs6tEC
— Google Search Central (@googlesearchc) October 5, 2023
As with previous core updates, the changes are expected to take around two weeks to complete. It’s normal to experience fluctuations in search rankings during this time.
Key Points about Google Algorithm Updates
Here are some points Search Engine Journal mentions to remember as Google’s October 2023 core update rolls out:
- Frequency: Google typically releases several core updates throughout the year. Each update may target different aspects of the search algorithm and can have varying effects on website rankings.
- Impact: Core updates can lead to fluctuations in website rankings, with some sites experiencing significant changes while others remain unaffected.
- Recovery: If a website experiences a drop in rankings after a core update, it’s crucial to analyze the differences and identify potential areas for improvement.
- Helpful Content: Google emphasizes the importance of high-quality, relevant, and authoritative content. Websites that consistently provide helpful information to users are more likely to maintain or improve their rankings.
- User Experience: User experience is vital in website rankings. Factors such as page load speed, mobile-friendliness, and ease of navigation can impact how Google evaluates a site’s overall quality.
- Expertise, Experience, Authority, and Trustworthiness (E-E-A-T): Google considers a publisher’s expertise, experience, authority, and trustworthiness. Establishing credibility and demonstrating expertise in a particular field can positively influence rankings.
- Continuous Improvement: Publishers should regularly monitor industry news, stay updated on Google’s guidelines, and adapt their strategies to align with evolving search algorithms.
Why Should You Care About Google Updates?
While Google confirms that many websites won’t change their rankings, many SEO professionals who manage several websites will likely see many fluctuations. And it helps people who track their data, in general, to explain why traffic may have increased or decreased.
If you’re working to compete online, it’s always good to track what Google is doing. Algorithm updates sometimes make big waves. Other times, you never notice that they happen. With the October 2023 Spam Update that was released the day before this update, we will for sure see some shifts in rankings.