23 Feb How to Set Up LinkedIn Conversion Tracking
Although LinkedIn was late to the party, conversion tracking on the social media platform has been available for a while now. LinkedIn’s Marketing Solutions has its own native conversion tracking for Sponsored Content and Text Ads. This tracking pixel, like others, allows you to track visitors to your website. You can track conversions of new leads, sign-ups, content downloads, and purchases generated from specific pages or events on your website. Then, you can link specific advertising campaigns and advertisements to the audiences created by your LinkedIn pixel. Never place your tracking pixel in an iframe or on a button — tracking pixels work best in the header of the page.
To get started, you need to create your LinkedIn tracking pixel.
- Sign in to your LinkedIn Business Services account here: https://business.linkedin.com/marketing-solutions/ads.
- Then visit this site to Start Your Conversion Tracking.
- Read through the page to choose where you want to track conversions. Learn how to add the insight tag to your website and start creating conversion actions.
Note: If you click the “Start” button at the top, it will take you directly to sign in to your Campaigns Manager and assume you’re ready. In other words, you’ll skip over all the necessary steps like learning about the insight tag.
Creating a Conversion Campaign
For more details on how to start your conversion campaign, follow these steps, as outlined by LinkedIn.
- Log in to Campaign Manager. Conversion tracking is shown on the top right of your account overview screen.
- Select the account you want to add conversion tracking to.
- From your account view in Campaign Manager, click “Conversion Tracking” in the top right of the screen.
- Input a high-level domain URL that you want to track conversions on. For example, yourwebsite.com. Do not include subdomains, “http://” or “https://”, or “www”. The high-level domain will include all of its subdomains automatically. Now click “Continue”.
- Copy the tag you’ve just generated and add it to each page on your site where you wish to track conversions. A good place to add the tag is the “Thank You” page customers see after submitting a form. You can easily tag every page on your site by adding the tag to your site’s global footer. You can do this by adding the Insight Tag before the end of the <body> tag in your site code.
- Note: you should only add one tag per page. Adding more than one tag to a page can interfere with the accuracy of reporting.
- Now that you’ve added the tag to your website, click “Next” in the Campaign Manager.
- Fill in the conversion name, type, value, and URL fields.
- Give your conversion a good descriptive name. This will be viewable internally only.
- Select a conversion type. Conversion types define what conversion behaviors you want to track. Set a value for your conversion. This will help you track the conversion value and return on ad spend from your LinkedIn campaigns.
- Click the “Website” dropdown and choose the domain you wish to track your conversion actions.
- Lastly, input the URL of the website where you want to track conversions. This would be something like the “Thank You” page we mentioned earlier. You can exclude “http://” and “https://,” but you do need to add “www” if a site visitor would see it in your URL. Use one of the two following rules when entering your URL:
- Exact: This is for if you have a static website URL. LinkedIn will only register a conversion if the user visits the exact URL you entered.
- Starts with: This is for if you have dynamic parameters at the end of your page. LinkedIn will register a conversion if the user visits any page starting with the URL you entered.
- Click “Save.” You can now add the conversion action to your campaign.
This post was originally published in October 2016. It was last updated in January 2017.