10 Jul How to Create Shoppable Posts for Instagram
In March of 2018, Instagram began offering shoppable posts on its platform. We’re here to give you an in-depth guide on how to make it work for you.
Requirements to Create Shoppable Posts
Users who want to create shoppable posts need to meet a few requirements. For one thing, you’ll need to be in a supported country.
The other requirements are easy to rectify if you are currently ineligible. For instance, you need to be using the latest version of the Instagram iOS or Android app — check the version you have and update if necessary.
Two more requirements are that you have a business account and that your profile is connected to a Facebook catalog.
How to Switch to an Instagram Business Account
- Before you can change your personal account to a business account, you need to have a Facebook Page for your business. If you don’t have one already, head to Facebook and click “Create Page” from the dropdown menu in the top right corner. Choose your business category, give your Page a name, and upload a profile picture and cover photo. Although this is all you need to create a Facebook Page, you should go back later to add more information and share content.
- If you do have a Facebook Page, make sure that you are listed in the admin. You’ll need this permission to switch to a business account on Instagram.
- Once you have your Facebook Page sorted, you can connect it to Instagram. Log into your personal Instagram account and head to your profile. Click the settings icon and check that your account is not set to private. Then, find the “Switch to Business Profile” option and click “Continue.” Select your Facebook Page and click “Next” to connect the profiles.
- To complete your business profile, you need to add your contact details. If this information is on your Facebook Page, it will already be populated. Check that everything is correct before clicking “Done.”
How to Connect to a Facebook Catalog
You have a few options to connect a catalog to Instagram. You can create a shop on Facebook, create a catalog in Business Manager, or set up a shop for Facebook in Shopify or BigCommerce.
Create a Shop on Facebook
Adding a shop section to your Facebook Page is a great option, as the process is straightforward. Unfortunately, it’s currently only available to users in the U.S.
- On your Page, click the “Shop” tab. If there is no Shop tab at the moment, head to “Settings” and find “Edit Page.” Click “Add a Tab” and choose “Shop.”
- Agree to the terms of service (this may involve entering your password) and click “Continue.”
- Choose your currency.
- Then you’re ready to start adding products!
Create a Catalog in Business Manager
An option available to everyone is to create a catalog in Business Manager.
- Open your Business Manager account.
- Head to “People and Assets” in settings.
- In “Product Catalogs,” either select a catalog you already have or click “Add New Product Catalog” and then “Create a New Product Catalog.” Give the catalog a name and specify what types of products you will be adding, then click “Create Product Catalog.”
- With your catalog set up, you can add a product feed. Choose a feed name, a currency, and the upload type.
- Create the product feed and save your file in CSV or TSV format.
Check out this article for a more in-depth explanation on the various ways to create catalogs in Business Manager.
Set Up a Shop on Shopify
- To add a shop in your Shopify account, click “+” next to “Sales Channel.” Choose “Facebook” and click “Add channel.”
- Connect to your Facebook account by heading to “Facebook,” then “Account,” and finally “Connect Account.” Make sure that you pick the same one as is connected to your Instagram business account.
- Wait until Facebook approves your store to use the products for shoppable posts on Instagram.
Set Up a Shop on BigCommerce
- Before you can set up a shop, your BigCommerce store needs to be launched and accessible. Once you’ve confirmed that is, go to “Channel Manager” and click on “Get Started.”
- Review the requirements that appear and click “Get Started.”
- Complete your shop by providing BigCommerce with your contact information, your Facebook Page, and the URL of your storefront terms of service. Also select your preferred checkout.
- Like with Shopify, you’ll need to wait for Facebook to review your catalog.
How to Create Shoppable Posts
1. Connect Your Catalog
Once you’ve done the above, you’ll need to wait a little more time for Instagram to review your catalog. As soon as it’s approved, you’ll receive a notification in the Instagram app. When you’ve received the notification, find the Shopping section in settings and click “Products.” You can now chose your product catalog and connect it to your business profile.
2. Tag Your Posts
Create a new post that you want to make shoppable. Upload your image and add the captions, effects, and filters just as your normally do. When you reach the tagging stage, you’ll have the chance to tag your products. Click “Tag Products,” search for the products you want, and select them. Finally, click “Done” — your shoppable post is complete!
Now you know how to create shoppable posts, you have no excuse. Start creating shoppable posts today to increase sales from your Instagram account.